Monday, May 2, 2011

Jumbo Animal Concentration (tutorial)

So, I have decided to set myself a posting schedule for this blog. I'm going to try to post on Mondays and Fridays. That way, I have the whole weekend to finish a project, and then the whole week to finish another. That shouldn't be too difficult.

With that out of the way, on to this week's project!



I bought this fabric from a super-reduced clearance rack at Hancocks, thinking that I could make something cute for the little man out of it. I was thinking of a little book, but then I hit on the idea of making a concentration game. I've played concentration with little kids before and they always have a hard time picking up the cards- this set will be easy to pick up and it won't matter if he crumples the cards, either.

18 squares, 9 of each. Your mileage may vary!


Jumbo fabric concentration-

You will need:

Picture fabric- I'm using animals.
Backing fabric
Heat-n-bond (optional)
Decoration fabric (optional)
Standard sewing supplies

Red sheet of DOOM!


I didn't have enough of the fabric I was originally going to use for backing, so I searched around and found this red fitted sheet. Fitted sheets make a ton of fabric- you will definitely be seeing this again. I cut out my cards and backs. If you have a rotary cutter, this would be a great place to use it. Mine is packed away somewhere, of course.

After looking at what I had so far, I realized that the card backs were going to be really visually boring unless I did something. I decided to use some orange butterfly fabric that I got at the same sale. I know that butterflies aren't usually considered very masculine, but (1) I don't want the little man to be bound by those kind of gender stereotypes and (2) that was what I had. So I fused the heat-n-bond to the back of my butterflies, cut them out carefully, and fused them to the backing fabric.




I sewed them together, leaving a gap so I could turn them right side out, and then ironed again and top stitched. I forgot to take a picture of the top stitching, but you can see it in the title picture up at the top.



Et viola! Here's the little man ignoring his new toy in favor of his drink.

Don't you know that I'm not old enough for this game, mommy?


Verdict-

These turned out pretty cute, but they took a long time to make. Actually, I haven't finished them yet, just enough to take a few pictures. They would look even nicer with some binding and a layer of batting, and would make a cool and different gift for a toddler/preschool aged kiddo. You could use appliqués to make shape, letter, or number cards. Just make two of each!

1 comment:

  1. Not only did you observe kids playing this game, you played it as a child. I still have that game somewhere in the house. mama (Oops, it was called Lotto and a very different game after all, but still fun.)

    ReplyDelete